Wednesday, June 25, 2008

big move part 2

Rachel begged to sleep in her new bed at naptime yesterday, so I decided we'd give it another try, resigning myself to stay in the room with her until she fell asleep. She finally did, and she took a longer-than-usual 1.5-hour nap! I was very excited, and she seemed proud of the move. Last night, it took her a long time to fall asleep, but she did great until she woke up scared around 2:00am. In an effort to get some sleep, I stuck her back in the crib to fall asleep on her own while I stumbled back to my own slumber. She seemed happy enough with the arrangement, and didn't complain this morning either.

I wasn't sure what today would bring, though, since we were planning a three-day visit with my parents. I talked up the pack and play like it should be fun to sleep there at MiMi and Poppy's, and she was satisfied with that. However, it has been quite some time since she's slept in a pack and play, and, to my dismay, she climbed in and out with no hesitation. So, at naptime, out she came, and back I put her, and out she came, and back I put her, until finally MiMi lay down with her. She slept, but for only less than an hour. Poppy set up the toddler bed they have, and that's where Rachel is sleeping now (after I stayed in the room with her and tucked her in when she finally fell asleep).

I knew I'm in for several days of having to stay with her until she's confident and used to the new bed (it is really big, and it's in a new room, besides), and I know the trasition to follow will probably be difficult. This is definitely the hardest transitions we've made to date; Rachel has handled the others like a champ (which probably lead to my over-confidence leading to this one). One fun thing coming from it, though, is being able to experience her winding down process in person. I love listening on the baby monitor as she plays and sings and talks to herself until she falls asleep, and I've often wished for a video monitor so I could really witness what's going on in there. It's really a funny few minutes, so I guess it's not so bad after all.

But I do hope she adjusts easily and quickly, and I hope I haven't thrown her into this too soon (although the pack and play incident today would suggest that the transition was quite inevitable). It definitely seems there's no turning back now...

3 comments:

Jarrad said...

for all the haters who question this sentence:

"So, at naptime, out she came, and back I put her, and out she came, and back I put her, until finally MiMi lay down with her."

check this out: http://www.chompchomp.com/rules/irregularrules02.htm

only reason i say this is because i questioned...

Kelley said...

that is SUCH a Seth thing to question! he's a grammar psycho!

Denise Travis said...

Bummer! Katie hasn't been sleeping either and I keep comforting myself with the thought that she just needs to get a little older! Here's hoping Rachel adjusts to her new bed soon!!