Tuesday, July 29, 2008

daddy highlight

Jarrad is a most wonderful husband and daddy. He takes care of all our budgeting and bill-paying (among many other hubby/daddy responsibilities). In the last two years (since starting our family, i.e. adding more mouths to feed), he's taken on what is almost a second job: couponing. It's not a hobby for him--although he does enjoy saving money--it is serious business. He collects multiple copies of coupon fliers from the Sunday paper, and he has devised quite a system of organization to optimize our savings. I've recently become his lackey, of sorts; he tells me what to clip, and I clip and clip and clip. The most intense time is, of course, when one of the grocery stores does triple coupon weekend. It is three days of coupon-mania around here, and it usually overtakes our kitchen and dining room. Jarrad likes to keep all his receipts, and he tries to zero out almost every order, surveying his success at the end of the three days. His other habit is to stack up all his spoils and take inventory at the end, usually gathering up the [free] items we won't use and giving them away to people who share their coupons with us. It's a big rush for him, and it is so fun for me for two reasons: 1-I don't do much grocery shopping any more!..how many mommies can say that?? and 2-Jarrad always brings home some fun, unexpected treats (my most recent fav is the M&M ice cream bars...yum).

I can't remember the ratio of grocery value to money spent, but for these items in the picture, I can guarantee it was a heck of a lot to not much! I'm so proud of my hard-working hubby!

8 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow!! I am impressed! What a great hubby you have. I need to show Landis this post...maybe it would motivate him to save money...he loves spending money, but not saving it. I have to be the "saver" around this household. :)

Lindsey Broere said...

WOW that is quite impressive...gotta love those triple coupon weekends for sure!

You have such a wonderful husband--I can see why you are so proud of him!

Christina said...

Wow - great job! I love triple coupons! I want to learn his system for clipping, storing and keeping track of his coupons. I've tried three different ways and can't seem to find the best way...Jarrad should teach a class.

Kim said...

WOW, Jarrad that is AWESOME!!!

Kelley said...

hmm, let's see. I'll take 3 bags of those brownies, 2 bottles of shampoo, and throw in a can of wet ones so I can wipe the chocolate brownie crumbs from my mouth. Do you guys deliver?

Jon said...

Jarrad, I'll never forget the time when you pulled into our driveway and unloaded 116 two-liters of Food Lion soda from the back of your pick-up truck. It was like Christmas in July! My pre-schoolers have been drinking it non-stop and I still think we have around 50 or so bottles left.

You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Jon's just jealous because there's no way we could pull off successful couponing when I also have to read every single label for allergens. he really wishes he were bathing in free Jergens and eating free ham sandwiches on free foam plates.

Chasity Evans said...

Ok guess what thanks to our new friend Kami here in Thomasville she introudced me to couponing last night and it's amazing i started a baseball card holder binder thingy to do the same maybe someday i will be as succesful as jared ;)