Sunday, May 3, 2009

my little baby

Our sweet little Carly turns 6 months old tomorrow. Praise God we seem to have an answer for her persistent cough: acid reflux or Tracheomalacia, either of which she will grow out of without consequence. We have medication for acid reflux, but I haven't been able to bring myself to give it to her yet. If she has it, it sure doesn't seem to bother her, aside from the normal amount of spit up (still significantly less than we experienced when Rachel was a baby), and, of course, the congestion/cough. It doesn't make her fussy, keep her up at night, or cause her trouble breathing. On the other hand, if she gets another ear infection, I sure will kick myself for not giving it to her. Oh, these mommy decisions...

I finally started Carly on rice cereal about a week and a half ago. I'm rather hesitant when it comes to food, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's such a tangible sign that my baby won't be a baby forever, or maybe it's just because we can't avoid having "another mouth to feed" any longer, but whatever it is, I put it off as long as I can. She loves it, though, and she caught on to the whole deal rather quickly (my baby, my little baby..). I can hardly stand it!

She's great fun now, too. I can't believe how proficient she is becoming. She was playing with an input toy a couple of days ago, and she was actually picking up the balls and putting them right where they belonged! (my baby, my little baby).. She can sit up on her own quite well (although I still don't leave her sitting by herself), and she wants to get moving so badly. She thinks Rachel is hilarious, and she has the cutest habit of keeping the very tip of her index finger perched right inside her bottom lip. She is as pleasant as any baby I've ever been around, and I love her sweet little voice that she's finding more and more (she's gone from cooing to "yayayaya" to "dadadada" in the past week). She also L-O-V-E-S being naked (or "nakedy" as Rachel and I call it), and will giggle at nothing when she's free from diaper and clothes.

And speaking of diapers, yes--she still wears them. She goes on the potty some, of course, but I don't foresee a diaper-free future for quite some time. We do love catching what we catch, though, and she definitely knows what's going on now. (my baby, my little baby). I am less enchanted now with pottying and cloth diapering, and I'm happy to move into a season when it's all just a part of normal life--the potty, the cloth diapers, the laundry. With Rachel, I resorted back to disposable diapers pretty readily, but now I don't even think of it, really, because cloth is what we're used to.

The first picture here shows how much Rachel loves that her sissy is growing into a playmate. I can't turn my back on Carly for more than a few minutes before Rachel has surrounded her with toys. I sometimes can't find Carly in the mound, and she seems to get overwhelmed at times, but I do think it's sweet.

Below is the face Daddy will want her to use on all the boys:

8 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

That's so sweet Anna...and wow they change so fast. Eating cereal...trying to "talk". I guess this means you'll just have to keep having them so you'll have a baby in the house ;-)

Matt and Lisa said...

It was fun reading this Carly update, Anna! It's so hard to believe our babies are getting so big! How is the time going by so fast??

Natasha said...

Oh my goodness! Look at those beautiful eyes! I found myself laughing out loud at the video. She seems like such a sweet, happy baby. :)

Denise Travis said...

what a precious laugh!

Lantanalane2 said...

I know your heart must be bursting with love for your sweet little girls!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Lantanalane2 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across our blog as I was looking for Tracheomalacia. We think my 9 month old son has it too. He has been rattling breathing for most of his little life it seems. He also has reflux. It does not seem to bother him except when he gets a cold. It makes so much sound sometimes they think it is pneumonia but he is not sick enough for that. How does your little ones breathing sound?

AnniePat said...

Her breathing was always a little bit wheezy sounding, but the doctor always said her lungs sounded clear when they listened through the stethoscope. It also does not sound like asthma, although they wanted to try Albuterol at one point just to see. She has always had a cough, but the acid med helps with that, and the cough has lessened significantly with time.

I would recommend getting a referral to an ENT. They will probably have the most experience with Tracheomalacia and can give you the best educated guess. The procedure to tell for sure is invasive, so you wouldn't want to do that anyway. I was glad to have a diagnosis, even if it wasn't a sure thing, just so I knew she wasn't sick!