Monday, February 9, 2009

smarty pants

I took Rachel and Carly on a world-wind visit of various grandparents and great-grandparents over the weekend. We had several 1.5-hour trips in the car, and about 20 minutes prior to arriving at my grandma's church, Rachel starts...

Rachel: Are we here now? Are we here now, Mommy?

Mommy: No, honey.

Rachel: Now? Are we here now?

Mommy: No, Rachel, we still have several miles to go.

Rachel: Now, Mommy? Are we here now?

Mommy: Rachel, no, we are not here now. Mommy will tell you when we are here. Please do not ask again.

Silence for about 10 seconds.

Rachel: Are we not there yet? I can talk, 'Are we not there yet.' Are we not there yet, Mommy?

----------

Yes, I am in over my head.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Mr. Intensity drives us crazy with that kind of talk, too. I can't remember when, but we started teaching him that there are 60 seconds in a minute (and if we were on the highway, that meant about a mile a minute, etc.) And we'd tell him about how many minutes it would take to get there.

so, just to keep him from asking mind-numbing questions (or us having to answer them!) we encouraged him to count to 60. Sometimes we'd have to help him make the transitions from 29 to 30 and from 39-40, etc.

Singing songs in the car also helps distract them...

yeah, I don't really like car rides of any length.

Natasha said...

I seriously laugh out loud each time I read your "Rachel quotes". Yes...you are in over your head. :) Super cute!!! :)

Denise Travis said...

That's hysterical! Your girls are gorgeous!

Denise Travis said...

That's hysterical! Your girls are gorgeous!