Friday, February 23, 2007

the fabric of our lives

Rachel's cloth diapers were finally delivered today! They have to be washed and dried 4 times before use, but we are well on our way to chucking Target diapers for good. I went to EarthFare and bought some Seventh Generation brand disposable diapers for when we're out and about and I don't want to tote back soggy cloth diapers, or for when someone else is watching her and doesn't want to be cloth diaper trained (although it's not as difficult as I thought it would be). With all these changes, I hope Rachel's bottom will stay healthy!

Today was also toy rotation day! Rachel has been bored with her toys for a couple of days now, so I did a switch-out. She was very excited to see her old friends. She crawled from toy to toy, not sure which to play with first.

PopPop and Uma has graciously been letting Jarrad use one of their cars to drive to work. This afternoon, it broke down. We feel terrible that a car that we were blessed to borrow actually died in our care. PopPop was kind and didn't blame us, but we still feel pretty bad. Looks like the Buick, dubbed "ButtUgly" by its owners, will be retired sooner than we thought.

Tomorrow we head to Lumberton to celebrate February birthdays with Jarrad's extended family. I'm looking forward to it; it's always fun to watch people dote over Rachel.

Progress Report

 pottydiaper
peepee64
poop20

After a discouraging potty day yesterday, we started off with a bang today. There is no doubt she knows what's going on. When we say "potty," she looks at the potty. We're even fairly certain she's tried to communicate her needs to us a time or two (both potty poops today came after we set her on the potty when she seemed to be indicating she needed to go). I hope it sticks (so to speak).

cute moment

Rachel woke up this morning at 5:45, but she was a happy baby. She entertained herself peacefully in her crib until about 6:15, while Daddy and I listened on the moniter, "dadadadada, dadada, dada, dada, dadadadada." She seemed to be having a real conversation with herself; maybe she was giving herself a potty peptalk!

non-toy toy of the day

Rachel is amused by bare skin. When I'm in her room, sometimes I lie down on her floor and stretch out, causing my shirt to pull up higher than my waistband and expose my belly button. No matter what Rachel is doing, she lets out an excited coo and sprint-crawls over to give my belly a sloppy kiss. Then, she giggles and dances.

deep thought

This morning, my wonderful husband got up early so he could hang out with Rachel while I took a much-needed 30-minute nap. When I was up again, I wanted to thank him for babysitting. Wait, babysitting? He's not a 14-year-old girl who's gabbing with her friends on my phone and trying to keep my baby happy at the same time. I would never refer to what I do daily as "babysitting." I mother Rachel. So, then, I should thank Jarrad for fathering Rachel. NO no that's not right either. How is it that "to mother" and "to father" mean such completely different things??

No comments: