Friday, August 17, 2007

the girl who cried "googoo"

Rachel is 14 months old today! Time flies. 14th month shameless picture count: 288 beautiful photographs of my toddler.

On Wednesday, Rachel took a great morning nap, and I had a few things I needed to pick up at the store, so I made Rachel a peanut butter sandwich and grabbed a banana, and we headed to Target. She had a great time riding in the cart, and, conveniently, we were almost ready to check out when she started getting antsy. I rolled our purchased goods and Rachel over to the little eating area in Target, and she sat there, people watching, eating her lunch. She really seemed to enjoy the distraction, and it was a nice change of scenery for me, too. Right after she went down for her afternoon nap, my friend Theresa dropped off her 8-year-old daughter, Ali, for me to babysit. Ali finished her homework just in time for Rachel to wake up from her nap, in a great mood. They played all afternoon, and Theresa and Ali ended up staying and having dinner with Jarrad, Rachel, and me.

Yesterday was my birthday. In honor my birthday, Rachel slept in until 7:00am! I was excited that the sun was fully up before me, but not as excited when she refused to take a morning nap. We met my friend Shawna for lunch, and Rachel had fun entertaining the waitresses and other guests. She was really tired by the time we got home, but she still had a little trouble taking a nap

Rachel has been sleeping great at night, but her daytime sleep is not as good. About every other day, she doesn't want to take her morning nap, and her afternoon nap usually falls about 1-1.5 hours. One and a half hours of daytime sleep, which is what she got yesterday, is not enough for my child. She was so cranky and clumsy all afternoon, but she cheered up some when Aunt Mamber came over. I tried to put Rachel to bed early, but, as usual these days when I try that, she still didn't actually go to sleep until 8:00pm. She was up at 6:15am today, which guaranteed a morning nap, even sleeping through a really loud thunderstorm. She slept over 2 hours this afternoon while my 18-year-old neighbor, Crystal, came over before she leaves for college in next few days! It's fun to reminisce about leaving for freshman year in college.

Here's a picture of Rachel, just after the first time she successfully climbed into this chair in our living room.

Progress Report

Rachel only wet one diaper on Wednesday, and one yesterday, two today (except that her diaper is wet every morning...I'm not counting that one). She even used the potty in Target Wednesday, and when we were out for lunch yesterday. Exciting!

Rachel is loving how attentive we are being to the potty now. "GOOgoo" (her word for potty) has become quite the effective delay tactic before sleeptimes.

cute moment

Jarrad was home for bedtime, so, once Rachel was bathed and dressed for bed, we decided to read a book together as a family. Jarrad sat in the rocking chair with Rachel in his lap, and I sat down on the floor in front, with the book in my hand. I looked down and realized I had the book turned the wrong way. I laughed, and turned it around, but that made it completely upside-down. Rachel burst into laughter through her paci.

non-toy toy of the day

After our Target trip, Rachel had a few minutes to play before nap, and her game of choice was to push the laundry basket around the room, stopping at different spots to collect various items (mostly shoes). It was like she was shopping!

No comments: