Monday, June 25, 2007

farewell PopPop

We have been really busy around our house! PopPop finished up painting the exterior of our home Saturday night, and it looks a thousand times better than before! Here's a before(above) and after(below) glimpse:

PopPop headed back home early Sunday morning. Rachel can definitely tell something has changed. PopPop stayed with us for two weeks, and Rachel had really grown to love seeing his face outside all the windows all day. Now, every time she glances out the window, or if she hears a noise outside, she quietly says, "PahPah" and pats her chest (that's his sign). She also asks for him first thing in the morning, because he usually came to visit her in her room before he went out to start painting for the day.

To help fill the void, GiGi came over last night so Jarrad and I could go out. She spent the night with us and was here to greet Rachel early this morning. This afternoon, we went to visit MeMaw, GGPaw, Aunt Libby, and Cousin Anthony. As usual, Rachel lit up as the center of attention, and she circled the room dozens of times, chattering away.

And now for a new Rachel development: she is really starting to show a preference to men. She warms up to men much more easily than to women. I wonder why?? Today at MeMaw and GGPaw's house, she went straight over to GGPaw and let him pick her up, and even sat in his lap for a moment or two at a time. On Sunday, I left Rachel in the nursery at church, and they tell me she cried unless JD, the only guy working in there was holding her. On a sidenote, JD is JonDavid's daddy. JonDavid and Cousin Tyler are best buds, and we get to hang out with them sometimes!

Rachel took a bath sans toddler tub tonight. I think we have officially graduated from the little tub, and she got a big kick (literally) from all that space.

Progress Report

Nothing interesting nor new to report here. Rachel knows exactly what's going on, but, I guess it just hasn't "clicked" for her yet. I'm putting all my money on betting that she'll wake up one day and just get it. Call me crazy, but I have to believe that or I will go absolutely insane with this potty stuff.

cute moment

Rachel's newest and favorite word is "no." She actually says "nahnah," but I know it's "no" because she usually does the sign for no with it. She points to outlets and says, "nahnah," she throws her food on the floor and says, "nahnah." Saturday, I was working in the kitchen, and I heard Rachel giggle and say, "nahnah, nahnah, nahnah." I looked up and she was standing with one foot on the stone hearth (a "no no"), looking straight at me with a grin on her face, signing "no." It was really hard not to laugh as I insisted she remove her foot. (Doesn't she look just like PopPop in this picture??)

non-toy toy of the day

She hasn't played with any interesting new non-toys, but she has invented a new game with her non-toys. She sits on them. She sits on everything. Today, she sat on top of a plastic yogurt container she's allowed to pull out of her cabinet. The best part is how proud of herself she is when she successfully sits on something. She always chuckles and looks around to see if anyone is watching. Here she is sitting on a pack of paper plates, in her pretty blue outfit from Aunt Julie:

2 comments:

Denise said...

Sorry that we could not connect today - what a day! Good to see that Rachel has such good taste in men! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Raquelitas third foto! she looks yummy!!