Sunday, July 22, 2007

i'm mr. lonely

Rachel and I have had an uneventful (which means long) week. Several attempts to see friends and visit neighbors have fallen through, and the weather didn't cooperate for Rachel to "swim" in her little pool the days I wanted to do that, so we've found ourselves trying to stay entertained around the house. Rachel has been sleeping until closer to 7:00am, which is a big relief, and her naps have been good lengths and predictable for the most part as well. She has been a bit disagreeable the last couple of days. She throws her toys, has temper-tantrums, pulls her bib off during meals, and generally wants to do what she wants to do, which is usually exactly what she knows I don't want her to do. It's rather frustrating. But I still think she's cute.

Aunt Katie came over Friday night, and Rachel got to try pizza for the first time. It was a hit, and Rachel was a mess. After bedtime, Katie and I watched the movie "High School Musical." It was much-needed down time. I haven't seen a movie in so long!

On Saturday, Rachel and I went to a baby shower at Aunt KiKi and Uncle Travis's house in honor of Denise. We had fun and Rachel wore a pretty little pink and white dress Aunt KiKi gave her. Of course, I didn't take any pictures...oops. Rachel even took a short nap in Cousin Tyler's crib after he woke up from his own nap. It was really fun to hang out and watch Rachel and Tyler play together some. Tyler is 7 months older than Rachel, but he still outweighs her by about 10 pounds. He always wants to hug and kiss on Rachel. It's sweet.

Sunday was hard. Since Rachel has gotten into a routine of waking up between 6:45am and 7:00am, she is usually ready for her nap at exactly 9:00am. But we trucked off to church without regard, and I ended up being called out of the service to sit with her in nursery because she was crying. I am convinced she would be fine in the nursery if it weren't for her missing that nap!

I take a lot of pictures of Rachel, but we've found fewer and fewer pictures of ourselves with Rachel. We're going to try to make a point of getting more pictures of us! Here are two from last week:

Progress Report

Rachel has all but quit the potty. It's really frustrating, because it is clear that she knows exactly what is going on. She even sometimes peepees as a protest when I won't give her something she wants. I'm not making this up. On Saturday, she wanted something from on top of her chest of drawers, and I said, "No Rachel, you can't have that." She fussed and whined, then stopped abruptly and peepeed. When she does that, she usually looks right at me, does the sign for no, and says, "nah nah" with a scolding tone.

cute moment

Rachel is really into playing "peek-a-boo" right now. She even hides her toys from herself. She opens her arms and says "hmmmmmguh?"...which sounds like when we say "Where'd it go?" Then she "finds" it and squeals.

non-toy toy of the day

Rachel needed something different this week, so I let her dig into the play food Aunt Mamber gave her for her birthday. I was keeping it from her because the package says 3+. Some of the food is pretty small, but Rachel did great, and I really don't worry about her choking on much anymore. Of course, I keep my eye on her, but she does really well these days. Anyway, she played and played with this "food." I loved play food when I was little, so I played with it some today too. The analytical side of me had trouble, though, because the "food" had terrible proportionality. I took a picture so you can judge for yourselves. How do you suppose they decided what to make which size?

2 comments:

AnniePat said...

I've decided I should leave a comment explaining my blog titles whenever they are obscure. Today's title comes from a song, called Mr. Lonely, that starts out
"Lonely
I'm Mr. Lonely,
I have nobody
For my own."

AnniePat said...

Oops, that's
Mr. Lonely