Sunday, May 27, 2007

we're back

I do have pictures, but they are held hostage on GiGi's camera. Maybe I'll be able to add them eventually.

We had a wonderful trip to visit NaNa and PaPa. GiGi came along, too, so I had lots of help with Rachel. In fact, it was like a mini-vacation. NaNa cooked delicious food and played with Rachel while I ate, GiGi gave Rachel a bath after playing in the dirt outside, and PaPa made Rachel grin and grin. She was constantly waving and barking ("uhuh") to Toby (their-year-old boxer-bulldog), and Uncle Steve even called to tell Rachel about the 17" flounder he caught at the beach (Rachel said "ahgoo").

Rachel slept really well while we were away. Today, she cried when I left her in the nursery at church. It's the first time that happened, and it was so hard to turn around and leave her. She was bound to be exhausted from our trip, and I guess she might be experiencing a little separation anxiety for the first time too. Poor baby.

Progress Report

Rachel has done exactly as I would have predicted: near-perfect at NaNa's house (a new house, a new bathroom, a new big potty), and back to her normal, cantankerous, I'll-potty-when-I-want-which-is-not-very-often Rachel.

cute moment

Rachel started saying "thank you" while we were away. NaNa, GiGi, and I wrestled Rachel's tennis shoes on and took her outside for some exploring. Rachel was very entertained, since she is into picking up little things and handing them to people. Every time she gave one of us something, we said, "Thaaaank you." It wasn't long before she started saying, "Aaaaaahgoo" when she reached out. She used the same inflection and everything!

Today, I was cleaning in the kitchen, wiping the cabinets with a damp cloth, and Rachel was right in my feet. So, I gave her a clean rag, and she put it right on the floor and started cleaning away. How humbling (and kinda scary) to know my every move is being watched and imitated.

non-toy toy of the day

I carefully packed a bag of Rachel's most special toys for our big trip, and then I left the bag at home. Of course, Rachel could not have cared less, as she got to play with lots of non-toys: whipped topping containers and lids, an oatmeal container, shoes, leaves, etcetc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the first picture is the cutest!
~tia Milli