Saturday, March 17, 2007

chapter four: the happy child

Rachel is nine months old today! Since I started blogging, I take pictures of Rachel daily. Sometimes I take LOTS of pictures of Rachel. So, I will shamefully report, on the 17th of each month, Rachel's picture count.

Eight-month picture count: 565 beautifully unique pictures of our precious baby girl.

Since the arrival of our firstborn, I've found that sleep is more complicated than I ever imagined. Even though Rachel's friend, Leah, is 10 weeks younger than she, I have consulted her mommy, Lisa, for Rachel's sleep problems almost since Leah was born. I finally bought her reference book, Healty Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I got it a couple of months ago when Rachel was struggling with night waking. The funny thing is that she slept great the very same night I bought the book, though I hadn't even cracked it open yet. The book has taught me several things, about biological sleep rythms and times, and, weirdest, that sleep yields sleep. And so I started noticing, when Rachel doesn't sleep well, it is usually because she hasn't slept well. It's counter-intuitive, but I've found it to be true for Rachel, and Lisa has found it true for Leah, too. Thursday, Rachel took two loooong naps. I was naturally a little worried about bedtime and how she'd sleep (how much more sleep could she need??). Thursday night, she went to sleep at 7:30pm, and, Friday morning, for the first time in a long time, she slept until 6:45am. I guess it's true: sleep yields sleep!

Friday was not as "perfect," but it wasn't bad either. Her afternoon nap was too short. GiGi came over late in the afternoon to visit Rachel, and then she spent the night here while Jarrad and I got to go to NCSU campus to see the Pack play their Round 2 game of the NIT Tournament. The game was at 9:30pm, and it wasn't over until almost midnight (we won!). Since everyone was trying to leave at once, Jarrad and I took a walk down memory lane (as they say). We took the often-tread course between Bragaw and Owen dorms, where he and I lived (respectively) when we met. I actually remember saying many many times, as that in-love 18-year-old girl, "I can't wait until we're married, and you don't have to walk me home anymore." We bought some nostalgic snacks from our dorm C-store, we sat on the bench where he asked me, "I have to know, do you want to be more than friends" (to which I supernaturally replied, "I definitely want to be more than friends," even though my mind was telling me to go ahead and let him down easy). We held hands as we walked down the path where he first held my hand (where I had gently reminded him that I'm not his girlfriend, as I didn't appreciate him claiming me in public for all the other cute boys to see). Poor guy, Jarrad really hung in there for me, and I am SO BLESSED he did. He is so patient! Walking on campus made my heart long for those carefree days.

But, as you know, I wouldn't trade being a MOMMY for anything in the world!

Progress Report (Friday)

 pottydiaper
peepee 53
poop 40
Her diaper was also dry first thing Friday morning!
 AM napPM nap
duration1:200:45
diaper drydry

Progress Report (Saturday)

 pottydiaper
peepee 45
poop 01
 AM napPM nap
duration0:401:30
diaper wet&dirtydry

cute moment

Rachel has clinged onto Little Rex the last couple of days. She's also beginning to find him more funny and interesting than her other toys. Do we have a "lovey" on the horizon? I think it's hilarious that she loves a little green dinosaur that much, but I guess he's just her size. She likes to give him big sloppy kisses and toss him around over and over. She cackles when he plays peek-a-boo, and she loves it when he nibbles on her ears. Here's a pic of Rachel with her current two favorite toys: her paci and Little Rex. This cute shirt was a Christmas gift from Aunt Mamber.

non-toy toy of the day

Rachel L-O-V-E-S playing with her moniter. I am usually pretty good to remember to pick it up after naps, but, yesterday, I forgot. She headed straight for it as soon as she spotted it. She was having such a good time, so I let her play on for a few minutes before distracting her and taking it away.

No comments: