Monday, March 5, 2007

to err is human

Today is a sad one for me. Today, I should admit that I am beginning to hate the cloth diapers and covers I bought. Reasoning led me to purchase the least expensive diapering option to try first, since Rachel isn't a heavy wetter and there might not be any reason to spend more. So, I bought prefold cotton diapers and Dappi brand velcro covers ($3 each). The diapers are plenty absorbant, but they are terribly bulky, and it really slows Rachel down when she's trying to crawl. The covers are the worst. The velcro is cheap and exposed (though it's not supposed to be), so it scratches Rachel's legs and belly. This afternoon, I had had enough, and I put them away. Rachel wore her couple of oh-so-cute pocket diapers for the remainder of the day, and a disposable to bed. I've ordered a couple of fitted diapers to try, but I need to buy better covers. There's so much to choose from it makes my head spin!

Last night was terrible. Rachel was wakeful, and fully woke up around midnight. I changed her very-wet diaper and rocked her for a minute, but then I put her back down. She screamed. She screamed (and I cried in the hallway outside her room) for about 35 minutes before finally going to sleep. I think the problem is that we developed a nasty night-waking habit when she went through the stage of standing in her crib. Now she expects me to come and soothe her back to sleep when she wakes up in the middle of the night. But if I keep that up, she won't get good quality sleep, and we're both bound to be exhausted every day. She woke up again at 4:45am, but I left her completely alone, and she went back to sleep until 6:30am. I couldn't wait to hold her when she woke up this morning, and she didn't seem to hold a grudge.

Progress Report

 pottydiaper
peepee 57
poop 11

It was a battle of wills with the potty today, and Rachel mostly won. The only time I absolutely insisted she sit was when I knew she needed to poop (go #2, as my mom would have me say). I literally held her on the potty until she grunted and went. She was mad, but it only took a few seconds for her to realize I was serious about her going.

cute moment

First thing this morning, Rachel was crawling around, playing in her laundry basket, and being extremely talkative. I needed to put socks on her little feet. I got the first one on, but then she darted under one end of her crib and out the other side. I got down there to put her sock on, and she grinned at me and darted back under to escape back to the opposite end again. We played this game, back and forth, several times before I finally wrestled her sock on her. She's becoming so silly.

non-toy toy of the day

After she finished eating lunch, I let Rachel play with her spoon, and, since she was already a mess, I put a spoonful of yogurt on her highchair tray. She was in squishy heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Anna -
I read practically everyday. I love your updates and your insight.

Here's our weblog: schweitzerfamily.typepad.com

We don't update all that often, though I'm trying to be good about it.