Thursday, March 29, 2007

i love her

Rachel had a weird morning. She woke up crying at 5:45am, and she was not going back to sleep. I dragged myself out of bed (I think I was in the middle of a dream) and prepared for a long morning. As I stumbled up the stairs, I dreaded what invariably happens when she wakes up so early: she's miserable by 7:00am, and I try to keep her awake and happy until as close to 9:00am as possible so I can be sure she gets a proper nap (she never sleeps longer than 45 minutes if I try to put her down long before 9:00am). It occurred to me that I didn't want to be awake yet, so maybe she didn't either. I entered her room, but decided not to talk to her or turn on her lights just yet. I sat down with her in the rocking chair, as is our morning routine, and I nursed her in silence (still half-asleep myself). Sure enough, she calmed right down and seemed to be extremely sleepy. I put her back in her crib and she drifted back to sleep until almost 7:15am. Now, that's a better wake-up time! She took her morning nap a little late, at 9:30am, but both her naps were GREAT today, so I am convinced I did the right thing. And I got a lot of extra sleep, too, which always helps! Praise God for flexibility!

We saw our friend Koen this afternoon, and Aunt Mamber this evening. Rachel had a good Thursday and should sleep great tonight!

Progress Report

 pottydiaper
peepee 62
poop 11I was doing chores and never saw it coming!
 AM napPM nap
duration1:301:25
diaper drydry

cute moment

Aunt Mamber pulled into our driveway just ahead of us when we got home from Koen's house this afternoon. She came over and peeked in the car window at Rachel, and Rachel grinned her Hey-I-know-you-and-I-like-you grin, the same one she gives her daddy when he gets home. I'm so glad she is enjoying familiar people!

non-toy toy of the day

At Koen's house, Rachel always enjoys playing with Bob's Playstation controllers. Here's a picture of Bob and Rachel from a couple months ago.

2 comments:

Matt and Lisa said...

Anna - good job on getting Rachel back to sleep. I've been meaning to tell you that with Leah, if she wakes up earlier than 6:15, I nurse her and lay her back down. She always goes right back to sleep until about 7:30. It's worked great for me - Leah has lately been waking up around 5 am... so it's nice to be able to lay her back down. Can't wait to hear how this morning went. :)

Anonymous said...

We do the same thing at the Schweitzer house. Sometimes I fall back to sleep at the same time -- happy to have a futon in Alex's room.