Sunday, March 18, 2007

who's in charge here?

I know I reference Lisa & Leah a lot, but I was just looking on their blog, at a picture of Leah lying politely on her changing table. The caption reads that after her bath, Leah enjoys a baby massage as her mom applies lotion. I, too, put cream on Rachel's skin after a bath, but there is nothing calm or relaxing about it. Since Rachel became even the slightest bit mobile (at around five and a half months she was doing a lot of rolling and "back hopping" to get around), the changing table became a hazardous place. At first, I could hold her down fairly easily, but by six and a half months, I completely abandoned the changing table in favor of the floor for diaper changes and wardrobing. Since then, I have become accustomed to chasing her all around her room, trying to smear her skin with cream, get a dipe on her bottom, and clothe her. Last week, the thought occurred to me--what is the lesson here?--that she is free to do as she pleases while I chase her and coerce her and wait for her to decide to let me have my way for two-second snatches, until I get the result I need (a creamed, diapered, clothed baby)? Not good. And so, I reinstated the changing table. So far, it is a huge struggle, whith lots of whining and fussing (from both of us) and attempts to jump off the mat (from Rachel). We'll see if we stick with it. Do other mommies out there experience this?? Comments welcomed...

Today was fun but exhausting. We went to church, as usual, and then we attended a "community group," which is basically a Bible study that meets at a member's home. We had a great time getting to know some other young couples in our new church, and there was another baby there--a very cute ten-month-old baby boy named Noah. He's much calmer than Rachel, and the two babies found each other amusing. Noah's sister, Mia, is immensely more active than either Rachel or Noah, and Rachel really thought her antics were funny, as she jumped around the living room in just her diaper, saying, "Hey, baby" and patting Rachel on the head.

Progress Report

 pottydiaper
peepee 55
poop 23

cute moment

Daddy is so silly!

non-toy toy of the day

A yellow cup.

life lesson

One thing that stuck with me from the sermon, from John 2:1-11, is that Jesus' first miracle is changing water to wine at a wedding, where He had been invited as a guest. Isn't that a strange miracle for His first? Why wouldn't His first miracle be something huge, like raising the dead--something that would make a huge impression on a lot of people? Instead, He performs a miracle that had a huge impact on just a few people, because He cares! I've read that scripture many times, and I never thought about that. Amazing!

4 comments:

Christina said...

YES - We have the same changing time struggles. We have never abadoned the changing table although it is SUCH a battle. Usually all out crying from Will. The few times when we change him downstairs or anywhere but the changing table - its a bit easier. We thought the same thing about not giving in and him learning a lesson...so far its not working. :) I wonder if Lisa will experience the same battles in the next few weeks as Leah gets more mobile too?? Gotta go - Will is chewing on the computer cord...

Anonymous said...

Get your tech support guy to address the video stat. Getting a "This video is no longer available" message.

Alexander is also a wiggleworm extraordinaire during diaper changes, arching his back and twisting around while I'm trying to take care of bidness. The solution I've discovered is to enlist Ruby as my assistant -- she stands by his feet and does silly dances or makes faces, which leaves him enrapt with her antics.

Maybe you could have Jarrad do some silly dances for Rachel. Please post a video if that happens.

Matt and Lisa said...

Two things -
1. Leah is getting more and more wiggly. So, now I would never step away while she was laying there like I used to. Point being that she might get too wiggly soon. But she seems to love her changing table. It's where she giggles the loudest, smiles the biggest, and kicks her happy feet the most.
2. One thing that really helps with time on the changing table is that Leah has one toy that she only gets when she's on it. It's a green rattle. She loves to shake it and chew on it. So, when she starts wiggling, I just give that to her and she is so happy to shake it, hold it, and chew on it, that she settles right down.

Denise said...

Sometimes a toy will help distract and sometimes I try to do that. But, Jon now kicks and sometimes even pinches me. I use my mommy voice and also use my left arm to hold his legs back while I do the cleaning. I usually say, "No, Sir!" I also have kept him on the table because I think it's actually more dangerous for me to try and wrestle him on the floor than to just keep him on the table.

I recommend a great book that I recently gave to Kim, "Shepherding Your Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp. I don't think it's too early to start introducing some boundaries and, like you said, letting her know that you are in charge. This does not mean anything harsh but I think you are wise to capture these small, teachable moments. Like, when Jon throws his cup while eating in his high chair (and it's an angry throw), I take the cup away, tell him, "No, Sir. We don't throw cups." and then take him out of his chair. It's small but it also is a way of saying that I am indeed in charge. Seriously, check out the book. I really like its approach to capturing your child's heart and not only being focused on obedience. :) Good job, Mommy!